“For I am not ashamed of the [G]ospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth…” (Romans 1:16)
It is sad to say and even more so to see that our text can not be claimed by many of our fellows. Why is this? We believe it may be due to the way believers have been taught to share their faith in Christ. The churches, preachers, and schools have given us a plastic and planned way to present the Gospel. This plastic presentation or sale, if you will, has a number of points that must be explained to their “subject.” It may be due to this plastic presentation and its many points (and these points must not be deviated from) that has caused many of the beloved to shy away from sharing the greatest news ever with those who are in the greatest need ever. Beloved, The Lord Jesus is not a concept that is to be given a trial run nor is He to be presented as a fixer of problems.
What follows (DV) are some of the reasons we are not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ.
- We are not ashamed of Him because He is not ashamed of us. The Scriptures tell us that Christ is not ashamed to call us brethren! The Scriptures also states the negative side of this truth. If you are ashamed of Him and His Gospel (these cannot be separated) He will, in turn, be ashamed of you. These two sides of truth are of very great weight. In the former He is not ashamed of us and for this reason He shall speak of each of us in the Presence of God and the angels!!! In the latter however, He shall denounce those who are ashamed of Him and His Gospel in the Presence of God and the angels.
- We are not… we cannot… Beloved, we must not… be ashamed of the Gospel of Christ for it… is… THe… Very POW-er by which we have been, are being, and shall forever be saved!!! It is by this very Gospel that we have seen and been given entrance into the Kingdom of God. It is by this Gospel that we have been established in hope and been given the faith of Christ. It is by this glorious Gospel that we have been comforted time and time again. It is by this Gospel that we have been taught to walk in the newness of eternal life.
- We are not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ because it is all true. One can look into history and see the difference the Gospel has made in the world. One can research and become familiar with many of the great intellects of history and how and why they have submitted their lives to Christ. They were not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ.
- We are not ashamed of the Gospel because all spiritual gifts, blessings and all one’s spiritual fruit flows through and from this Gospel. It is because of the Gospel that grace, faith, and love has been realized by penitent sinners. If one would desire boldness to share Christ with others the above mentioned gifts, blessings and fruit must be appropriated through prayer, and the exercise of faith. These are the means by which one can overcome one’s fears, pride, weakness, and shyness. Faith, like the mind and body is strengthened by the exercising thereof.
- We are not ashamed of the Gospel because to be ashamed of this Gospel is to confess that the world, the flesh, and the devil have overcome and overpowered us.
- We are not ashamed of the Gospel because to be ashamed of this Gospel is to show a weakness and possible unbelief of a defeated (?)believer(?) and the victory of the world, the flesh, and the devil. This is to the delight of Christ’s enemies.
- We are not ashamed of this Gospel because it is the singular means of man’s salvation and deliverance from sin and an unending perdition.
This post has been written to
A. Challenge and encourage those who want to share Christ with others but are fearful and do not feel they are knowledgeable enough. You need not follow a script or do as others do. To share Christ with others is as simple as paying for the person behind you at a convenience store or fast food restaurant and then handing them a tract or explaining your reason for purchasing their items as giving to others as Christ has given to you. Another way is to simply ask a person “what do you think of Christ?” This will plant a seed in their mind. We would also recommend “Wretched” radio and/or T.V. for ideas in sharing Christ. The main thing is to seek God’s help in sharing His Son with others as He, so loving the world, has shared His Son with us
B. Encourage those who already share Christ freely with others as the Spirit opens doors and leads them.
C. Rebuke those who do not or have not sought to; not desired to share the truth of Christ and His Gospel with those who are lost.
We are not calling upon believers to go door to door with the plastic and rehearsed presentation. We simply want to encourage you to be confident in all that Christ is to you. After all we willingly share our opinions with others as well as recommending movies, shows, books, exercises, skills, games, business, experiences, etc. yet we are slow to share Him Who would fully and exceedingly satisfy the needs and yearnings of those around us.